Monday, April 28, 2008

City Songs: Going To Queens and Downtown Seoul

























Mountain Goats mastermind John Darnielle has the gift of painting complete, if often mysterious pictures with just a few carefully chosen words. With some deceptively simple brushstrokes he can actually make you feel the immense heat of Queens in summer, sweat slowly running down your back: "You were all I´d ever wanted, you were all I´d ever need, in New York City in the middle of July." And listening to Downtown Seoul it´s easy to see a movie scene in black and white unfolding before your eyes: "I saw you coming across the square and a white bird broke the dark Korean sky, as the rest of my life went by..."

1 comments:

bwrice said...

I used to live right down the street from Darnielle. I never knew him or anything... but still. I've seen him play a few times, and he still makes his way through town pretty regularly. Very talented guy - and funny too. Excellent choice...