Saturday, April 12, 2008

Days Of The Week: Drive-in Saturday



David Bowie: Drive-in Saturday

[purchase]

I've owned a good number of David Bowie albums in my time- still do, as a matter of fact, though I've never owned the particular album this song was originally on. Still, I've managed to purchase the song four seperate times! I've bought the Sound+Vision box set over and over and over and over. First on vinyl, which got scratched to shit, then cassettes, which got borrowed out (so, of course, they were never seen again). Later, when I bought the compact discs, I was happy to be done with the whole affair... until the set was re-released with a fourth disc! Argh!!!
So, basically, I spent as much to own this song (and a bunch more, of course) as I have probably spent on clothing over the past three years. Heck, it's probably as much as Bowie has spent on clothing in the last... three minutes? Hrm... Well, I hope he was able to manage an half-way decent handkerchief or set of socks offa me!

Originally released on the 1973 album Aladdin Sane, "Drive-in Saturday" reached #3 on the U.K. charts.

And, as a special thank you to Six for getting this Star Maker Machine started:
The Kinks: Days.

I'll be back late tonight or early tomorrow morning to post up our next theme: "My First." See ya then.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Matt,

This has been a lot of fun so far. I'm really glad so many good bloggers are involved already. Hopefully we start getting some more reader submissions. And I'm glad you posted "Days." Great way to end the week!

Anonymous said...

Aladdin Sane is a brilliant album. I love Drive-In Saturday, but I also love Aladdin Sane (the song), Lady Grinning Soul, Jean Genie... and, well... pretty much the whole album. The only song on that record that I never really cared for was his cover of Let's Spend The Night Together. I think Bowie is pretty sketchy as an artist, but when he's good he's great.

This was a great post - Hilarious about buying it so many times.

br