Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring & Flowers: For The Roses



Joni Mitchell: For The Roses

[purchase]

Well, I guess this song oughta get posted, huh?

Here's what Joni, herself, has to say about the song:

"That was my first farewell to show business. I was in Canada, where I have a sanctuary where I still go sometimes, and I had decided to quit show business and get away from all the pressures I felt. To me, this was an unfair, crooked business and it has nothing to do with real talent. ... I was up in Canada about a year and I guess it strengthened my nervous system a little, so I finally came back." - From Here

I'm glad she came back, because her next release was the phenomenal Court and Spark. If she hadn't recorded that album, then we may never have heard a song called "Free Man In Paris." And if we'd never heard that song? Well, you see where I'm going with this...

-------------

Although this song was never released as a single, the album it is from (also named For The Roses) reached #11 on the U.S. charts, #5 on the Canadian charts, and #19 in Australia.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Matt, Thanks for looking out for Joni!

Brendan said...

nicely posted