Sunday, May 18, 2008

Little Black Book: Annie


(Author's note: OK, so I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize we were supposed to add random pictures until I actually read the "Little Black Book" post all the way through to the comments. Stupid reading. Anyway, here's my Annie, decidedly less hirsute than my previous subjects.)

Ronnie Lane: Annie [purchase]

A sadly beautiful number from the unheralded Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane LP, Rough Mix (1977). "Annie" is actually a Ronnie Lane/Eric Clapton co-write ... ol' Slowhand even adds refreshingly subdued acoustic guitar ... and I'd say it's of a piece with some of Ronnie's tunes with The Faces ("Debris," "Glad And Sorry," maybe "Richmond"). Benny Gallagher's haunting accordion rides atop the backporch country strumming and perfectly complements Lane's soulful singing. A winner in every regard.

If you're an old-school Faces fan, I highly recommend the documentary, The Passing Show: The Life & Music Of Ronnie Lane [purchase]. Like much of Ronnie's best work, it's both sad and curiously life-affirming.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Great song and great underrated album!

Anonymous said...

lance, you've been consistently one step ahead of my next music purchases. i don't how this is happening! i'm just listening to slim chance for the first time today.

Anonymous said...

LD, there really are no strict requirements at SMM...