Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Boats: Rowboat




















An obvious choice for this theme, but it would be foolish to leave it out for that reason. Rowboat, or: how things are always better on the other shore. Beck´s ´94 original presents the lofi hero (well, he was at the time) at his most polished, also thanks to Leo LeBlanc´s beautiful pedal steel. "Rowboat, row me to the shore, she don't wanna be my friend no more... She dug a hole in the bottom of my soul."



Johnny Cash did a marvellous version of the song on Unchained (´96), the second volume of his acclaimed American Recordings series. He´s got the following to say about Rowboat in the liner notes: "Dog food on the floor. And I've been like this before. Beck's been reading my mail. I do believe that the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain. I'm not even going to ask Beck what the line means, "I'll be home with the gasoline." Is it for her truck, or to burn her house? I know. In my head I know. I've been like that before. Rowboat, things are much better on the other shore."

8 comments:

Paul said...

Great pick. It's another one that came to mind right away for this theme, but definitely worth posting.

I think the Yahoo Media Player is having a bit of trouble with the Beck track. It sounds slow on my machine.

Paul said...

Ha! I'm laughing at myself. I think I just forgot how slow the Beck version was... I've got to check my CD when I get home.

Ramone666 said...

You´re right, but only at the beginning. What to do about it?
PS I claim my Smurf points.

Paul said...

Not sure what to do about. When I get home from my job hell in about 7 hours I'll try uploading it from my CD. It's probably something with the mp3.

Unknown said...

Defintely a good choice. It was on my radar, but am glad you posted it.

Divinyl said...

I will third that...another one (that and Lyle Lovett so far) I had in my 'potential' jottings! Nice work :o)

Divinyl said...

P.s. I'm impressed with the choice of pic too!

Ramone666 said...

Thanks Divinyl, and welcome to the club.