Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hell Week: Hellhound On My Trail



Cassandra Wilson: Hellhound On My Trail

[purchase]

Rory Block: Hellhound On My Trail

[purchase]

Two of my favorite still-living blueswomen from opposite ends of the blues spectrum -- one a sultry jazz-pop chanteuse, the other a 5 time WC Handy award-winning acoustic folkblues guitar player of the Mississippi Delta Country Blues style -- deliver vastly different but equally powerful interpretations of this old country blues tune usually attributed to Robert Johnson.

"Hellhounds on my trail" may be merely a metaphoric mannerism, but each in her own way manages to bring the weariness of a sinner's life to what is otherwise a pretty standard sneakin' 'round song. As an added bonus, given the subject matter, the gender-bender approach is reasonably empowering, all things considered. Especially nice to hear powerful musicianship coupled with such powerful, sparse narrative.

blog comments powered by Disqus