Friday, July 11, 2008

Hell Week: Please Take The Devil Out Of Me



Caitlin Cary: Please Take the Devil Out of Me

[purchase]

Oh Jesus, please please take the devil outta me.
I've traveled far down this lonely road
The devil he's got me bent down so low
I've just found out where I want to be
Oh Jesus, please please take the devil outta me.
I'm getting tired of living in sin,
I'm tired of keeping the devil for my friend
I want so badly to be set free
Oh Jesus, please please take the devil outta me...

As we get towards the end of yet another fruitful theme week, it seemed fitting to start looking for transition songs. And though there are certainly a few out there, and just as certainly plenty more truly dark last-gasp greats to make the case for Satan himself, I can think of no better way to start working our way out of the Devil's dark arena than this great sinner's prayer for -- and subsequent celebration of -- redemption.

You might find this one familiar: it's a George Jones tune, originally. But there's something especially redemptive, I think, about all this Jesus talk coming out of the borrowed mouth of a sweetheart of a female vocalist with a twang and a grin and a great set of pipes, not to mention a killer hand on the rosined bow. So here's lesser-known Whiskeytown co-founder and powerful alt-country fiddler and singer Caitlin Cary with her short, sweet take on this old tune, originally released on Down To The Promised Land, the incredible 40-song compilation released way back at the turn of the millennium by alt-country label Bloodshot Records to commemorate their fifth year in the business.

Now I'm so happy, I'm free from sin,
because I let my dear Savior in
My Jesus told me that I was free
Oh Jesus, thank you, you took the devil outta me.

blog comments powered by Disqus