Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Bountiful Feast: Animal Crackers In My Soup

Shirley Temple

Shirley Temple: Animal Crackers In My Soup

[purchase]

When deciding which song to post for this week's theme, I found myself drawn to older songs of the 50's. Songs about food were plentiful back then for some reason. But as I rolled even further back, I realized that a certain curly-haired child-star had a few songs to choose from too.

In 1935, Shirley Temple performed one of her best known songs, "Animal Crackers In My Soup" for her 30th film appearance, Curly Top, a movie which featured the young actress as an orphan who charms her way into the heart of a wealthy bachelor.

The lyrics are sugary, of course, but befitting of both Temple and the time period. And it's Temple's precociousness and precision as an entertainer that made many of her films and songs so memorable.

For a video snippet of Temple's performance of "Animal Crackers In My Soup" in the film, click here.

blog comments powered by Disqus