Friday, November 7, 2008

Silly Songs: Cynically Yours


Amy Rigby: Cynically Yours

[purchase]

I recall buying Amy Rigby’s Diary of a Mod Housewife when it came out in 1996, totally loving it but not understanding why – I’m optimistic, she’s jaded; I’m light, she’s more than a bit darker; I am comfortable in a long-term relationship, and she sings of a variety of not-so-great choices. Then I realized… I might be a Tigger personality… but I definitely have an Eeyore alter-ego – Amy Rigby appealed to the fragile, vulnerable, insecure me… on those days when “I’ve lost my tail”… i.e., my sanity, my self-esteem, my memory, my car keys (need I go on?)…

I back-burnered Amy for a while but, when she appeared on Jules Shear’s Between Us CD (definitely in my Top Ten), I tracked down what I’d missed, as well as kept her in my radar from that point on – it was a wonderfully worlds-colliding moment when she asked Todd Snider to duet on ‘Til the Wheels Fall Off…

She’s recently moved to France and married Wreckless Eric – they just returned from a U.S. tour, and her blog retains the Beer and Kisses sensibility of her bent-but-not-broken songwriting…

Cynically Yours is the meeting place of ennui and desire – insert name here…

Submitted by Susan

blog comments powered by Disqus