Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tricky Beats: That's What You Get With People Like That On Cruises Like These

Solex

Solex: That's What You Get With People Like That On Cruises Like These

[purchase]

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not adept at formally deciphering the time signatures of songs. Of course, I can tell if something sounds unique, or possesses a strange composition. But to be sure of a specific time signature just isn't my forte. Perhaps I need more training. Knowing this, I thought my approach at choosing a song which utilized them was going to be a challenge.

Ultimately, I went with Solex's "That's What You Get With People Like That On Cruises Like These," from her 1999 album, Pick Up. To be certain that my selection fit within this week's theme, I consulted Boyhowdy, who confirmed that this song uses a 7/8 rhythm. Although he also mentioned that the song overlays a couple more time signatures which adds to the songs overall tensity.

The woman behind Solex is Holland's Elisabeth Esselink. Her brand of music began while working at her own music store where she would sift through the bargain bins and sample bits and pieces from various albums and create her own musical collages. And that's just one of the reasons Solex's music is so wonderfully bizarre. It's as if she chooses some of the most unattractive sounds, but stirs them together to create some truly remarkable tracks, both surreal and exposive. Organized chaos, perhaps?

blog comments powered by Disqus