Monday, April 27, 2009

This and That: Linus and Lucy



George Winston: Linus and Lucy

Vince Guaraldi: Linus and Lucy

[purchase]

From the incomparable library of Vince Guaraldi classics, this is Linus & Lucy. I distinctly remember standing in church once at about the age of 10 when a certain 15-16 year old kid walked up to the church piano, sat down and played this song note for note, including the funky jazz refrains in the middle sections. At the time, at that age, it was one of the most poignant moments of musical ecstasy that I had ever experienced.

I'm now in my early 40's and this song still fills me with a sense of certainty, as if everything is ultimately good and will turn out OK in the end. It's the innocence of childhood, I suppose.

I'm posting both the original, Vince Guaraldi, version of the song and George Winston's cover. Guaraldi's version is the original, and has appeal for that reason alone, but Winston's cover is a little cleaner and reminds me more of that kid at church 30 years ago.

blog comments powered by Disqus