Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Jailbait: I Think About You


Collin Raye: I Think About You

[purchase]

I've been having a backchannel exchange with Boyhowdy since mid-day, and his as-always eloquent and informed responses gave me the courage to go public with my privately-expressed feelings – below is a copy-and-paste of my side of the dialogue:


I've been writing this e-mail in my head since this week's theme was announced...

I was so proud of Star Maker Machine when we covered Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse - this week's Jailbait seems so utterly counter-intuitive. The former respected and defended women and, in my opinion, the latter objectifies and dishonors them - we have daughters, so we should be especially sensitive to this issue...

I believe, in this case, the theme does indeed conjure inappropriate responses - first of all, by using the moniker Jailbait, a lascivious, nudge-nudge-wink-wink tone is established. Secondly, how many songs are out there telling people (specifically guys)... *don't* look/don't touch/etc.? - rather, a Humbert Humbert/Lolita mentality is invoked...


The Domestic Violence/Sexual Abuse theme felt like a teaching opportunity, bolstered by the many powerful songs we were all able to offer up - I find it hard to believe lust for underage girls can be flipped to express outrage, when the "don't stand so close to me" message is so prevalent, especially in the rock and roll milieu...


I don't want to sound like a preacher... or a prig (neither of which I consider myself to be)... and I initially thought I'd just make a conscious decision not to post this week, and jump back in with the next theme – however, I am a firm believer in the "silence condones" life philosophy: if I don't speak up regarding something I feel strongly about, by my non-intervention I am allowing it to perpetuate...


So... please consider my grievance voiced - despite how popular opinion weighs in on this matter, “I don't see the truth in it” (a borrowed catch-phrase that allows me to remain honest to my own belief system)...


P.S. If I were really courageous, I would have sent my previous note out to everyone... or I would have submitted
I Think About You (the Collin Raye song, written by Steve Seskin) to SMM to show another viewpoint - alas, I feel I'm already viewed as the schoolmarm... and maybe I didn't want to reinforce the stereotypical misconception (shame on me)...


All that being said... I have no desire to shut down the lines of communication and/or further posts on this theme... but I did want to make sure I spoke my mind... and now I have – thanks to all for listening...

blog comments powered by Disqus