Sunday, January 17, 2010

There's Something About Mary: Crazy Mary


Pearl Jam: Crazy Mary

[purchase]

I first became aware of this song on Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams, released in July 1993 - truthfully, I had never heard of Victoria... nor heard the original, but I was intrigued by the story of her illness, as well as impressed by the line-up of artists who donated their time and energy for this worthy cause...

I still haven't been privy to Victoria's version of Crazy Mary... but I actually don't think I want to... as Eddie Vedder's growling vocals provide just the right balance of haunted and tragic - "that what you fear the most could meet you halfway" (whew)...

I don't know how Victoria is faring health-wise these days... but I continue to think of her and wish for the best - benefits like this give one hope that we are never alone...

P.S. Tomorrow (January 18) is my little sister Mari's 42nd birthday - since our theme was John songs way back in mid-September 2008, I asked if we could have a week of Mary songs, in honor of my younger female sibling...

You can read the full account, written almost two years ago, on my own blog here - long story short: Mary Catherine (which she shortened and then changed the spelling) was born when I was 13 years old, and I thought she was mine... I have loved watching her grow up to the beautiful and wise young woman she is today... she turned me on to The B-52's more than a few decades ago... we like to give presents that make each other cry... :-)

Boo f*cking hoo, baby sis - I love you!

P.P.S. The above photo is of my daughter Sarah (bottom left), sister Mari (bottom right) and Mari's daughter Julia (on top), taken on a memorable (for so many reasons) family vacation in August 2008 - if you look closely, you'll notice that all the sand castle turrets are topped with Corona bottles (crazy, eh?... :-)

blog comments powered by Disqus