Thursday, July 1, 2010

New York: Across Manhattan Zoo



Bobby Womack: Across 110th Street, Part II

[purchase]


Ol' Dirty Bastard: Brooklyn Zoo

[purchase]


Scott Walker: Manhattan

[purchase]

Three fine and very different New York-related songs in one rather scattered post.

First off a cut from the classic Across 110th Street soundtrack, courtesy of Bobby Womack. This is the lesser-known companion to the famous title track. There's a third version as well, an instrumental one which I almost posted during Instrumentals Week before I decided I had posted enough that week already.

Then a track just as rough and seedy as you'd imagine from someone calling himself Ol' Dirty Bastard. And finally Scott Walker, whose excellence should need no introduction or explaining.

By the way, don't miss this New York mix I posted on my blog two months ago. It's really good. It even has David Hasselhoff doing Frank Sinatra's New York New York. Nuff said.

Why the banana? Because to me New York has always been synonymous with The Velvet Underground. So yeah. A banana.

blog comments powered by Disqus